Accounting, Financial Manger At UNICEF Nigeria
Job no: 498111
Work type: Fixed Term Staff
Location: Abuja Nigeria
Purpose of the Position
Under the general supervision of the Chief of Operations, and as the manager and functional expert of financial management services in a large country office, the incumbent is accountable for provision of managerial leadership and policy guidance for achievement of effective financial service management. Ensures management of finance staff for cost effective, quality and efficient financial operations in support of office country programme. Ensures that the office’s financial operations and services are in compliance with the organization’s financial policy, procedures, rules and regulations
- The budget preparation and implementation are properly administered, monitored and controlled
- Assists in the management of the budget in close coordination with the Chief of Operations to ensure that objectives stipulated early in the fiscal year are realized for smooth operations of the Country Office/sub-offices, where applicable.
- Assists zone offices in the establishment and maintenance of financial services.
2. Partnership, coordination and collaboration
- Develops and maintains effective working relations with other agencies, local authorities and implementing partners relating to matters for enhancement of information exchange, collaboration, and harmonization.
- Cooperates and coordinates with other UN agency counterparts in the UN reform initiatives (including common services, E-banking)
3. Accounting, financial and budgetary transactions and control.
- Ensures the control and operation of bank accounts are in accordance with UN/UNICEF financial rules and regulations and local banking practices. Ensures up to date information on the cash position or status of such accounts.
- Manage bank reconciliation activities and keeps abreast of all procedures and regulations regarding the maintenance of bank accounts.
- Ensures accurate and timely processing and recording of disbursements and payments e.g. travel claims advances to government etc, in accordance with established rules, regulations, systems and within budgetary limits.
- Also, ensure recovery of advances and accounts receivable.
- Monitor financial transactions and accounting reports, and reconciliations of accounts to ensure accurate and up-to-date financial information.
- Prepare required reports and statements for Chief of Operations and HQ.
- Manage Vision finance module, provide training and orientation to staff on its use and coordinate with IT staff on technical adjustments or irregularities.
- Undertake visits to field offices to provide accounting and finance training to counterparts and support, establish and/or review systems and procedures for compliance with rules and regulations, and prepare report and recommendations.
- Advise and recommend to the Chief of Operations when deviation from financial rules and regulations may be required and propose alternative solutions
- Supervise the Finance unit staff and ensures that UNICEF’s Financial and existing Rules & Regulations, Policies and procedures and day to day guidelines are complied with.
- Ensures that all tasks necessary to satisfy the reporting obligations of the unit are carried out.
Responsibilities And Task
Within the delegated authority and under the given organizational set-up, the incumbent may be assigned the primarily, shared, or contributed ideas in making the following Decisions
1. Policy interpretation and application
Accountable for the correct and consistent application of organizational policies and procedures in the management of finance functions through the provision of technical leadership and support in the area of accounting and finance to the country office.
Contributes to global and regional strategic planning and policy changes/formulation on operational matters as necessary relating to finance; Provides technical input to contribute to the establishment of financial guidelines in close coordination with the Chief of Operations.
Implements the effective communication, training, roll-out, monitoring and evaluation of new initiatives, guidelines and procedures as it relates to finance, HACT, IPSAS and Vision.
2. Fiduciary integrity/responsibility for funds and assets
- Safeguards the financial resources entrusted to the office by advising on and/or managing financial assets, financial planning and cash management activities and by recommending improvements to the financial and administrative management systems and procedures. Accountable for fiduciary integrity/responsibility for funds taking decision on all financial transactions and disbursement of funds
- Ensures efficient, cost-effective and transparent utilization of resources through knowledge and technology transfer between offices and consistency of approaches.
3. Effective operations of financial management
Manages and ensures the effective, equitable and efficient operations of the office’s financial resources to support and facilitate the attainment of programmatic goals and objectives by meeting changing financial operational requirements. Ensures effective and efficient financial operations that promote gender sensitivity and gender parity. Advises management on financial issues.
4. Compliance and Internal Control
- Monitors budget process. Ensures all other financial operational reporting requirements are fully met for the office. Monitors compliance with all operational systems and procedures and ensures integrity in all financial and other related administrative operations of the office.
- In collaboration with the Chief of Operations, assists in the implementation of agreed audit recommendations as it relates to finance; advise on corrective measures to be taken and establish relevant internal controls. Develop training activities to ensure effective financial performance and efficiency.
Minimum Educational Qualification
Advanced university degree in accounting, financial management or economics.
2. Work Experience
- Eight years of relevant professional work experience in accounting or financial management;
- Both national and International work experience in management, finance, accounting or related fields;
Fluency in English
Competencies of Successful Candidate
1. Core Values
- Diversity and Inclusion
2. Core Competencies
- Communication [II]
- Drive for Result [II]
- Working With People [II]
All does who meets the requirement should Click To Apply
Click For More Information
NOTE: Application for this position closes on the 10th of August 2016